"Joshua" Pose Digitization
1. What physical feature is most important in conveying a characters mood or emotions?
Kobayashi-san: There are many body parts that are important in conveying mood or emotion, but I personally focus on the eyes and mouth. They are the parts that reveal the most subtle changes in a persons mood, so I keep revising until I am pleased with what I have drawn.
2. Which features are most carefully turned into pixel art in order to maintain the intended mood or emotion?
I would have to say the characters facial expression. I paid extra attention so that every subtle overtone is well-described.
3. For the sketches marked r_004, what was behind the decision to choose one hand resting on Joshuas chin versus the other?
I tried many variations in order to see which would match the character exactly, though I honestly dont recall exactly what I was thinking at that moment.
4. Knowing that the total number of poses in the game is limited, how do you decide upon a few?
First, event designers presented scenes and the total numbers of poses they needed. With those in mind I designed poses that would be applicable to many different situations, since we could use only a few for each character into the game.
5. What did you hope to convey with Joshuas conservative style?
Nomura-san: I didnt approach Joshua any differently from the others. Instead, I tried to ensure that every character had his or her own style.